it’s weird… people on the “right” are constantly whining about how illegitimate X is - based on utter bullshit. and people of goodwill continually hamstring themselves, adhering to “norms” - while enduring truly illegitimate abuses. such as this batshit insane Supreme Court. which only has the power we invest them with. so… until it’s legitimate again, it’s time to stop investing in it.
Well said - and they would know
“Russian missiles strike Kyiv, shattering sense of calm”
Bullshit - the only sense of calm, was for people with their heads in the sand, hoping that appeasement would spare any cost to them. Which - and we have overwhelming evidence - simply makes things worse.
There is one way - only - to stop Putin. And that is to - wait for it - stop Putin.
There’s no way out by dialog only - the rest of the world must step up, and take direct ACTION. www.rutlandherald.com/news/busi…
did we really need more evidence that Elon is a terrible human being? really?? “demanding workers show up for at least 40 hours a week in the office or find another employer”
With so many of us now, simply shrugging and giving up on being careful about COVID - prompted by government and business leading the way down this dangerous path (especially dangerous for the many of us who cannot get vaccinated) - it’s sad that the reality at this stage, is that you’d have to be in a bubble to avoid getting it. N95 masks provide decent protection - to the people on the outside of the mask. That’s the best we’ve got - and many of the people who should most be wearing them, are the people who care the least, so aren’t.
So we’ll all likely get it - and with that in mind:
- get all the boosters you can, as soon as they’re available to you
- don’t wait on a booster since this will increase your risk AND delay your ability to get the next one, which may be even better and/or more targeted
- manage risk as best possible; minimize time in closed rooms, especially with poor ventilation
- for recent variants, the amount of exposure to become infected, is about 60 seconds
- test early and often, especially after anything you think even MIGHT have been risky
- tests are generally covered by healthcare plans, or otherwise available at no additional cost - get as many as you are allowed, and use them
- PCR tests are the gold standard, and pick up infection sooner than antigen tests
- PCR tests will also show positive, for awhile afterward (because you’ve still got it in you)
- there are no at-home PCR tests; they require more advanced lab equipment and expertise
- LAMP tests are _similar to PCR; they look for the same thing in a different way
- PCR tests are still available at no additional cost, usually run by the state
- antigen tests are useful to show if you’re at a high enough level that you should isolate
- antigen tests will take awhile after infection, to show positive; test >5 days after exposure
- antigen tests are also useful after you’ve had it, and are no longer symptomatic, to show when it’s safe to exit isolation (even when a PCR might show positive)
- test results are no longer tracked in even a remotely comprehensive way, so those stats are dubious at best
- we DO have treatment options - and you need to prepare NOW to be able to use them
- for instance, Paxlovid is apparently most/only useful, immediately after infection
- so have that conversation with your doctor NOW, to know how to get it as soon as you need it, since you can get it only on their say-so
- the treatments (like Paxlovid) have significant potential side-effects and drug interactions; check those carefully - also good to do NOW, before you’re in the throws
Last: Please point out any errors I’ve made above, or any additions / questions / comments - best way to get through this, is TOGETHER. ❤️
another nudge to get any tests and boosters you’re eligible for, ASAP:
Fauci signaling that [due to GOP opposition to COVID funding], the US is going to start running out. :(
this, as we appear to be in a surge in the NorthEast, and likely country-wide by Fall (if not sooner).
do yourself (and everyone else) a favor - get some of these N95 masks:
why? excellent breathability, excellent fit, excellent protection.
BTW: also works very well, for those of us with beards - for a solid (and safe) fit
we will not be deterred! 😉
Wiley nails it
Leah Elliot’s remix of Scott McCloud’s 2008 discussion of Google Chrome - should be required reading for anyone using it. And the rest of us, too.
“What are you going to do about it?” contrachrome.com/comic/pag…
Books Unbanned - thanks to the Brooklyn Public Library 👏🏽
gods bless danzinger www.danzigercartoons.com/cartoons/…
whoever made this, gets 1,000 internet points
more painful evidence that many officials - yes; “even” in VT - are making decisions heavily weighted on political considerations vs. science (but ham-handedly abusing science, to justify): vtdigger.org/2022/03/3…
One of the most reliably wrong voices in VT (yes; more than McClaughry) - full of short-sightedness & GOP / Libertarian “values”
spare a thought for my family: our fourth hospice, and death, in the past six years
“Thus far, only the state’s larger hospitals… have filed rate adjustment requests”
Oh; but “economies of scale”!
brilliant explanation of why - especially for some of us - it’s hard to switch tasks: eisforerin.com/tag/adhd/
Wow; the new Spatial Audio feature (AirPods) is cool - though rather disorienting in some situations; here’s how to control it: support.apple.com/guide/air…
Bolling’s brilliant take, on Putin’s abuse of his country, to abuse the people of Ukraine
“market forces” and healthcare - forcing many of us, to get neither health, nor care vtdigger.org/2022/03/1…
The kids, are a whole lot better than alright: “teen wanted COVID vaccine; had to hide it from parents”
Oh for the love of… Zoom on Mac may be recording you even when you’re not using it. How many “oops” does one org get?!
Our Services do not respond to Do Not Track signals.
Sure; thanks for being honest - even better, to actually show some respect.
subscribe via RSS