The central problem, is the enormous jenga tower that we’ve built:
- Full of dependencies that virtually no one understands.
- Dependencies generally chosen, for expedience.
- Chosen by coders at all levels of in/experience.
- Driven by “ship it now”, and “move fast and break things”.
- With management rarely caring about risks - until one becomes a public crisis, which can no longer be ignored.
- These crises will get both worse, and more frequent - bad actors (*), have noticed how vulnerable everything is.
- (* Bad actors of all stripes, not “just” in tech - and some have state-level resources.)
- Even still, there will be little fundamental change in how we write & deploy code - because most of the people making these decisions haven’t felt it. Yet.
- The “powers that be” think they’re insulated from the pain. It may not be long til they find out how wrong they are.